Emma Huegerich (Nieland) 1911-1986
Mrs. Julius Nieland Sr.
The Carroll Times Herald, January
Mrs. Julius (Emma) Nieland, Sr. 74, of Carroll, died
late Thursday morning, January 2, at St. Anthony Regional Hospital.
Mass of the Christian Burial will be celebrated at
11 a.m. Saturday, January 4, at St. Lawrence church with the Rev.
Lawrence McCarty as celebrant. A granddaughter, Karen Sue Nieland,
will be lector; granddaughters Stacy Nieland, Cindy Nieland, Sonya
Hanson, Renee Willey, gift bearers, and a grandson, Barry Nieland,
great-nephews Mark Pawletzski and Danny Schroeder, mass servers.
Burial will be in Mount Olivet cemetery. Serving as casket bearers
will be grandsons Donald Michael Nieland, Michael John Nieland,
Danny Hanson, Jr., Ronnie Nieland, Roger Nieland, Jamie Nieland,
Anthony Nieland and Marc Nieland.
Mrs. Nieland is survived by her husband, Julius Nieland,
Sr., five sons: Donald Nieland and his wife Kay, Carroll; Virgil
Nieland and his wife Sharon, Glidden; Julius Nieland, Jr., and his
wife, Lillian, Carroll; Jim Nieland and his wife, Pam, Carroll,
and Larry Nieland and his wife, Karan, Carroll; two daughters: Mrs.
Dan (Erma) Hanson, Honey Creek, Iowa, and Mrs. Dan (Mary) Schroeder,
Tucson, Ariz.; 36 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren, a brother,
Joe Huegerich, Carter Lake, Iowa, and four sisters; Mrs. Clara Beyrink,
Glidden; Mrs. Julius (Leona) Schroeder, Carroll; Mrs. Dorothy Stephenson,
Carroll, and Mrs. Alvina Schoeppner, Carroll.
She was preceded in death by her parents and two sisters,
Martha Schirek and Grace Pawletzki.
Mrs. Nieland was born at Carroll on May 5, 1911, the
daughter of John and Helen Baumhover Huegerich. She spent her early
years in the Mount Carmel and Carroll areas and attended Our Lay
of Mount Carmel schools. On October 25, 1932, she was married to
Julius Nieland, Sr., at Our Lady of Mount Carmel with the Rev. Peter
They farmed northeast of Lidderdale until 1944 when
they moved to a farm south of Rockwell City. In 1962, they moved
to a farm three miles north of Carroll and remained there until
they retired in January of 1971 and moved to their present home
at 1021 North Carroll Street in Carroll.
to Obituary Index